Channels are where you communicate with your team members. Each channel within a team is for a specific task or topic within that team's scope. Each team includes a General channel, where you can chat with your team members about general topics that are outside of the purpose of other channels.
Every channel in a team will be listed in the Teams list pane below the team’s name.
- Click a channel in the list pane.
The conversation threads in that channel will appear in the Content pane.
Unlike a chat, which is a single thread of discussion, a channel can have multiple conversations going on at once. The first message in a conversation begins a thread that everyone else can reply to.
- Click in the conversation text field at the bottom of the Content pane.
- Enter a message.
When using channels, you're also able to tag (or mention) other people in a message. This sends them a notification, letting them know that they need to see this message. You can mention someone by typing the @ symbol, followed by their name.
- Click Send.
The new conversation thread is added to the channel, and everyone in the team can view it and reply to it.
You can respond directly to a specific thread to keep all dialog about that topic together. This helps keep vibrant conversations, with several participants and various topics, organized and in context.
- Click a conversation's Reply button.
- Enter a message in the reply text field.
- Click Send.
The reply is added to the conversation thread, and notifications will be sent to everyone else participating in that conversation.
By default, you'll get notified whenever someone replies to a conversation you're involved in, or one that you started. If a particular channel is very important to you, you can choose to get notifications whenever there's any activity in it.
- Click the More Options button next to the channel's name in the List pane.
- Select Channel notifications.
The Channel notification settings dialog box lets you customize the notification settings for all new posts, as well as channel mentions.
- Click an activity type's list arrow.
- Select a notification setting.
- Banner and feed: Notifications will display in a pop-up banner, as well as in your Activity feed.
- Only show in feed: Notifications will appear in your Activity feed but won’t pop up on the screen.
- Off: No notifications will appear for this activity.
- (Optional) Click the Include all replies check box.
This setting will enable notifications for all replies to all posts in a channel. This may result in a lot of notifications, depending on how active the channel is.
- Click Save.
Your notification settings for the channel are updated.
A team can have any number of channels, so if you have been granted the proper permission, you can add new ones when they’re needed.
- Click the More Options button next to a team in the list pane.
- Select Add channel.
- Enter a name for the channel.
- (Optional) Give the channel a description.
- Click Add.
The channel is added and is available for everyone in the team to use.