Once you’ve been working with slide masters for a while, it can start to get a little confusing and cluttered. Luckily, you can rename, delete, and preserve slide masters and layouts.
- From Slide Master view, select a slide master or layout.
- Click the Rename button on the Slide Master tab.
Right-click the slide master or layout in the Thumbnails pane and select Rename Layout.
- Add a new name and click Rename.
When you hover over a slide master or layout in the Thumbnails pane, you see its name and the slides in your presentation that are using it.
- From Slide Master view, right-click a slide master in the Thumbnails pane.
- Select Delete Master.
Deleting a slide master will also delete all of its layouts.
Sometimes PowerPoint may try to clean itself up and delete any slide masters that aren't currently being used in a presentation. To prevent that from happening, preserve your slide masters.
- From Slide Master view, select a slide master.
- Click the Preserve button on the Slide Master tab.
Right-click the slide master and select Preserve Master.
A tiny pin symbol appears next to the slide master, so you know that it won’t be deleted.
- Click the Close Master View button.