Sheets' COUNT functions can help you count cells with numbers, text, or blank cells. Sheets actually has a small family of COUNT functions, but the most useful are:
- COUNT: Counts cells that contain numbers; blank cells and cells with text aren't counted. Syntax: = COUNT(D2:D55)
- COUNTA: Counts cells that contain any kind of data, including numbers and text. Syntax: = COUNTA(D2:D55)
- COUNTBLANK: Counts blank or empty cells. Syntax: = COUNTBLANK(D2:D55)
- COUNTUNIQUE: Counts cells with unique values. Syntax: = COUNTUNIQUE(D2:D55)
- COUNTIF: Counts cells that meet a single criteria. Syntax: = COUNTIF(D2:D55, "PARIS")
The COUNT function tells you how many cells in a range contain numbers.
- Click in the cell where you want to add the COUNT function.
- Click Insert on the menu bar.
- Select Function.
The COUNT function appears in the common functions group.
- Select COUNT.
- Select the range of cells you want to analyze.
- Press Enter.
The number of cells with numeric values in the cell range appears in the selected cell.