Excel’s COUNT functions can help you count cells with numbers, text, or blank cells. Excel actually has a small family of COUNT functions, but the most useful are:
- COUNT: Counts cells that contain numbers; blank cells and cells with text aren’t counted. Syntax: = COUNT(A2:A10).
- COUNTA: Counts cells that contain any kind of data, including numbers and text. Syntax: = COUNTA(A2:A10).
- COUNTBLANK: Counts blank or empty cells. Syntax: = COUNTBLANK(A2:A10).
The COUNT function counts cells that contain numbers; blank cells and cells with text aren't included.
- Click in the cell where you want to add the formula.
- Click the AutoSum button list arrow.
- Select Count Numbers.
- If necessary, select the desired cell range.
- Click Enter or press the Enter key.
Excel displays the number of cells that contain numbers in the range.